The tugboat R.F. Grant

This house was called the Villa des Bosquets and was the family home of the Fillion family who owned the Shipyard of Saint-Laurent. This house also served as accommodation for seasonal workers on the site from Île-aux-Coudres and Île-aux-grues. Unfortunately, the Villa no longer exists today.

History of the tugboat

Built in 1934 by the Canadian Vickers company of Montreal, this tug was used for log driving on the Saint-Maurice and Batiscan rivers. Acquired in 1990 by Groupe Océan, it was used as a pilot boat and tugboat on the St. Lawrence River and in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. This ship was also used for dredging the St. Lawrence River. In 2009, the R.F. Grant participated in the installation of the landing stage at the Saint-Laurent-de-l’Île-d’Orléans wharf.

The full name of the tugboat is Robert Francis (R.F.) Grant (1858-1937) who died at the age of 79. He was one of the pioneers of forestry development as manager of forestry operations at the C.I.P. (Canadian International Paper) on the Saint-Maurice River and the Batiscan River. He married Marguerite Duplessis, one of Maurice Duplessis’ sisters.

The arrival of the tug at the Park

In the fall of 2020, the tug was hoisted onto the tow ramp of the former Saint-Laurent shipyard during a major operation requiring another tug and heavy machinery. Work on the tug still continues at the maritime Park of Saint-Laurent with the help of a team of volunteers. These volunteers repainted the hull in grey, the bulwark in blue and the superstructure of the wheelhouse in white while displaying the logo of the donor, the Groupe Océan.

This text was written thanks to the research of Jacqueline Guimont.

This house was called the Villa des Bosquets and was the family home of the Fillion family who owned the Shipyard of Saint-Laurent. This house also served as accommodation for seasonal workers on the site from Île-aux-Coudres and Île-aux-grues. Unfortunately, the Villa no longer exists today.

The interpretation of the tugboat

The maritime Park team plans to open the tug soon for guided tours inside and on its deck. Before making it accessible, however, we must make it safe for everyone. This process is currently underway. Follow us on our social media to learn more about its opening!